Think Above and Beyond Price
Today’s savvy online consumers are quick to comparison shop and often make purchasing decisions based on the price of a product or service. For small businesses, this can mean being pitted against e-commerce giants and their comparably low pricing.
Competing online, however, is about more than just offering a product at the lowest price. Every interaction with your brand, from your website to your packaging, is an opportunity to deliver a stand-out customer experience. Here are some ways to deliver a good value.
From conversation to conversion
Every relationship — including the one you have with your customers — benefits from good communication. It helps you better understand what consumers want and expect.
More and more, customers are communicating through consumer-generated messages. So be sure to listen. Here’s why you should encourage your customers to engage with your brand via product reviews and social media:1
- Increase loyalty. Giving customers a voice deepens their relationship with your brand and is good for loyalty.
- Gain new customers. Shoppers are 97 percent more likely to convert if they interact with consumer-generated content.
- Benefit from positive influencers. Information customers get from other customers feels more authentic and may answer questions you didn’t anticipate.
Want to generate more customer reviews? Simply ask your customers to do so. It’s a win-win for everyone: It can help increase business for you and improve products and services for customers.2
Tip: If you receive a negative review, don’t hide it. Figure out how you can improve and then follow up.
Create a delightful experience
Now more than ever, customers who are shopping online want a personal connection with the e-commerce company they’re doing business with. As a small business, providing that extra, personal touch is well within your wheelhouse.
Consider the needs and wants of your target audience when deciding what works best for them and you:
- Supplement your customers’ purchases by creating tip cards with different ways to use the product, or provide a link to a how-to video.
- Offer free gift wrapping and a personalized message to the recipient.
- Include a thank-you note and coupon with each first order — it turns a discount into a reward.
- A free sample of a new product helps repeat customers feel like insiders.
- Offer free shipping year-round, as a seasonal or limited-time perk, or to first-time shoppers — 9 out of 10 customers say free shipping is the biggest incentive to encourage them to shop online more often.3 Shipping services like FedEx SmartPost® and the pricing options of FedEx One Rate® make it more affordable than you might think.
When it comes to standing out from the crowd, remember: Sometimes, that little bit extra is what makes the difference.
For more on how to grow your customer base, get organized and reach your online store’s full potential, visit Empowering E-Commerce at the FedEx® Small Business Center.
More from FedEx Updates
Find additional tips and tricks to improve your FedEx experience on FedEx Updates.
1“Consumer-generated content helps drive online sales.” Business Insider, May 4, 2016.
2Post, Jennifer. “Asking for customer reviews? How to do it right.” Business News Daily, December 1, 2016.
3Gesenhues, Amy. “Retail study: 9 out of 10 consumers say free shipping No. 1 incentive to shop online more.” Marketing Land, June 9, 2016.