FedEx Small Business Grant Contest FAQs
1. What is the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest?The FedEx Small Business Grant Contest is a grant contest by FedEx to award ten (10) small businesses with grants up to $25,000. Refer to the Contest Rules for details.2. What are the contest dates?The registration period to enter the contest is January 12, 2015 – February 12, 1015. The voting period is February 13, 2015 – March 17, 2015 followed by a judging period. Winners will be announced April 21, 2015.3. What are the contest rules?The contest rules can be found at fedex.com/grantcontest.4. How many grants will be awarded?There will be ten winners: one (1) Grand Prize winner of $25,000, one (1) $10,000 winner and eight (8) $5,000 winners.5. I have a question/issue not answered in the FAQ topic areas. Who can I contact?You may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you within 2 business days.
1. Who may apply for the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest?Any for-profit small business in good standing that has been in continuous operation for no less than six (6) months is eligible to enter the contest.2. What does it mean for my company to be in "continuous operations for not less than six (6) months?It means your small business has been offering a product or service to customers for at least six (6) months.
3. Is a non-profit eligible for the contest?Non-profits are not eligible to enter the contest. Please refer to the eligibility section of the Contest Rules for more information.
4. Is an online-only business eligible for the contest?Yes, any for-profit small business in good standing that has been in continuous operation for no less than six (6) months is eligible to enter the contest.
How to enter
1. How do I enter my business into the contest?To enter the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest, you will need to create a contest profile at fedex.com/grantcontest. Your contest profile will require you to upload four images that represent your business, with one (1) of those images being your business logo. Additionally, you will have to answer a few brief questions to help FedEx and voters get to know you, your business and why you should receive a grant.
2. Do I need to have a FedEx account to enter the contest?No, a FedEx account is not required to enter the contest.
3. What things will I need to enter the contest?The following things will be necessary to enter the contest and create a contest profile:o Business name, contact name, address, etc.o A website for your businesso Provide responses to the following:a) Give us your “elevator pitch” (what you do, what you sell, service you offer, etc; limited to 140 characters)b) Tell us about your business, what inspired you to get into it, what makes your business stand out and how it impacts you, your community or environment.c) How would you use the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest money to make a significant impact on your business?o Up to 4 images of your business or product (1 image must be your logo), not to exceed 5MB each, and in one of the following photo formats: .jpg, .png, .gif.o While not required, you may also upload a 1-minute video with your “elevator speech” about your business; simply upload your video to YouTube and input your link into the entry form. *Note, the video must be publicly available on YouTube to be viewable for the contest.o Recommendations: It is recommended to create your responses in advance in a format that allows you to take your time creating it. Supported browsers include the latest versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox and IE8 and above.
4. Can I start my entry and finish it at a later time?No, you will need to complete your entry at the time you start it. There isn’t a way to come back to it later. You will be able to edit your information before you submit.
5. Is there a deadline for entering the contest?The deadline to enter the contest is February 12, 2015. The voting period for your entry begins on February 13, 2015.
6. I don’t see my contest profile. How will I know if it was successfully created?FedEx will review each entry within 2-4 business days to ensure validity and appropriateness before approving to appear in the contest gallery and voting application on the contest site at fedex.com/grantcontest. You should expect an email notice confirming your acceptance into the contest within 2-4 business days of submitting. This email will come from email@example.com and will contain the URL for your contest profile that you can use to publish during the voting period.
1. When does voting begin?The voting period is February 13, 2015 – March 17, 2015.
2. How does the voting work for the contest?You can vote for any business in the contest by going to fedex.com/grantcontest, viewing the gallery for your favorite business and clicking on the “vote” button. You will be required to choose which social platform you’d like to use (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and your login ID will be required to cast your vote. Voting is limited to once per 24 hour period per social platform. The first time a voter clicks on the “vote” button, they will get a message from Facebook/Twitter/Instagram asking to allow access. If you do not agree to this, the vote is not cast. Allowing that access only allows us to track votes by ID and enforce the one vote per 24 hour period per platform rule to prevent fraudulent voting. FedEx does not use this information for any other purpose. The number of votes received will be shown on the contest profile and you can share your vote via social media.
3. Who can vote for a business entered into the contest?Anyone with a Facebook, Twitter and Instagram account can vote for any business in the contest.
4. Where do I send my customers to vote for my business?The easiest way is to share your contest profile through social media and via email and they will be directed to the contest gallery at fedex.com/grantcontest. The “vote” button will be displayed on your specific contest profile. You will also be given a “voting badge” to place on your website about your participation in the contest that will direct your fans to the contest site to vote. This badge is html code that you can place on your website.
5. What are requirements to vote for a business in the contest?A Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account are required to vote for any business in the contest.
6. Why is my Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account required?These are required to enforce the rule of one vote per 24 hour period per platform. This also provides an additional level of security to prevent fraudulent voting.
7. Where can I see a list of businesses entered into the contest?You can view the contest gallery at fedex.com/grantcontest. You can search by business name, city or state as well as business type. You can also browse contestants by state using the interactive map.
8. Can I vote for any business listed or does it have to be a business in my local community?Anyone with a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account can vote for any business in the contest.
1. How will the winners be selected?A selection committee within FedEx will use the following elements to choose finalists:
- Votes received
- Clear, compelling and engaging essay answers/video
- How the grant money would be used
- Social presence to develop your brand voice, including use of visuals, cohesiveness, humor, engagement, uniqueness
- Website ease of navigation, ease of product ordering (if applicable)
- Uniqueness or innovation
- Sustainability/environmentally friendly
- Positive impact on community
- A 2nd essay question will be sent to those reaching the top 100 with responses due by April 8th.
2. When will winners be announced?The Top 100 will be announced on March 31, 2015. The final ten (10) winners will be announced on April 21, 2015.
3. How will winners be notified?Grant winners will be notified by email and/or by phone using the contact information provided at entry. Winners may also be announced on the Grant Contest website, in FedEx social media channels and in a FedEx media release.