Where’s Your Package?
Staying home until your package arrives isn’t always possible. But coming home to a door tag about a missed delivery can be frustrating.
That’s why we recommend you sign up for FedEx Delivery Manager®. It’s a simple one-time process in which you indicate when and where you want your package deliveries made. Complete it once and you’re set. It’s a convenient solution to avoiding missed deliveries.
But if you haven’t signed up yet and you see a FedEx Express or FedEx Ground door tag when you return home, here are answers to some questions you might have:
1. Why did you receive a door tag?
For one of two reasons:
- To let you know we delivered your package and where it was left.
- To notify you that we weren’t able to deliver your package and to instruct you on the next steps to take.
2. Why couldn’t we deliver your package?
One of these restrictions kept us from leaving the package at your residence:
- A signature is required.
- Money is due at delivery.
- The package contains dangerous goods.
- Security reasons or restrictions.
3. What do you need to do when you get a door tag?
That depends on what works best for you:
- If you would like us to attempt a second delivery, you don’t need to do anything. We usually attempt to redeliver your FedEx Express®, FedEx Ground® or FedEx Home Delivery® package the next business day. We’ll indicate on the door tag whether we’ll try again or if this was the final delivery attempt.
- If you want to pick up your FedEx Express package before another delivery attempt is made, it’s easy. 1) Verify that the package is available for pickup. Instructions on how to do that are on the door tag, along with the address where you can pick it up.* 2) Note the door tag number that’s on the bottom of the form — we’ll need it to identify the package. 3) Bring your legal identification when you pick up your package.
- If this was the last delivery attempt, we’ll mark that on the label. You’ll have two business days to pick up your package at the address shown. Make sure to call ahead or go online to check if it’s available for pickup, and remember to bring your legal identification.
4. Can you get your package left for you if you’re not home for the next delivery attempt?
It depends on why we couldn’t leave the package the first time
- If the shipper or FedEx requires a signature at delivery but doesn’t require the recipient to be present, you can give us permission to deliver and leave the package by signing the door tag.
- If the delivery was not made because of other restrictions, you or another adult must be present to receive the package at the next delivery attempt, or you can pick up your FedEx Express package at the address shown on the door tag.* Bring the required documentation and be prepared to pay for the package if money is due at delivery.
5. What can you do to avoid missed deliveries in the future?
You have several options. Choose the one that’s right for your needs and accommodates your schedule:
- Sign up for FedEx Delivery Manager and get your packages delivered when and where you want them. This is the proactive solution for busy people. Go to fedex.com/delivery to set up notification and delivery preferences. You can even change your preferences while the shipment is in transit. It’s the simple way to stay on top of your schedule — and make door tags a thing of the past.
- Request Hold at FedEx Location when you schedule your shipment and have your packages delivered to a FedEx Office location convenient to you.
- Redirect a package that’s in transit: Go to fedex.com or call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 and request that your package be delivered to a FedEx location near you.
Sign up for FedEx Delivery Manager
Stay in the know about your package deliveries. Sign up for FedEx Delivery Manager today and avoid future missed deliveries.
More from FedEx Updates
Find additional tips and tricks to improve your FedEx experience on FedEx Updates.
*For FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery packages, go to fedex.com or call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 and request that your package be delivered to a FedEx location near you.